Fall is here and the weather is starting to become damp and cool in our area. Below are just a few seasonal reminders for this time of year.

Apples: Apples are often on the ground this time of year, and most dogs enjoy this sweet treat. Apple seeds contain cyanide, and although a few apple seeds likely won’t harm your dog, eating them over time can lead to the accumulation of cyanide in your dog’s system, which is quite hazardous. The cores can also be a choking hazard and should be removed before being given to your dog. Remember that every dog is different, and different dogs may react differently to apples. Some animals may have a hard time digesting them and they should be added slowly to a diet and in moderation. If your pet has diabetes of cancer, apples should be avoided all together as they contain sugar.

Halloween and Thanksgiving Goodies: Your pets have exceptional noses and will be sniffing out unattended treats around the house. Please make sure all potentially dangerous foods are securely put away.

Chocolates can cause stomach upset, tremors, and in extreme cases death. However, it is not as toxic as most people think. It takes 3oz. of milk chocolate to cause issues for a 10lb. pet. Dark chocolate contains more theobromine than milk and can cause serious problems at much smaller amounts.

Xylitol is present in some gelatins, candy, gum, and desserts. This sweetener can cause liver damage or even death to our pets. It is also popular in dental products such as sugar-free gum, mouthwash, toothpaste, and breath mints. Look for it on labels.

Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney damage in pets. They are often in cookies and fruit salads this time of year. make sure they are not present on a plate when sharing leftovers with your pet.

Fatty Trimmings may get your pets mouth watering, but can cause problems ranging from digestive upset to extremely painful and potentially deadly pancreatitis. This condition may also cause pets to go blind.

Canned Macadamia Nuts have been known to cause rear-leg paralysis in pets.

Onions can cause a life threatening form of bleeding in pets. Be cautious when feeding pets left overs that may contain onions such as stuffing.

Keep the holidays fun and safe by including a warning label for pets when giving any of the above items as gifts.
warning
Printable Warning Label

Weather Conditions: Just because your dog has fur does not mean that it is not susceptible to cool and wet weather. Make sure when you are planning on a pet spending extended periods of time outside you check a weather report. Make sure pets have shelter from rain and are not left out unattended during a wind or thunder storm.

Antifreeze: People will begin weatherizing their vehicles during this time of year. Antifreeze smells sweet to pets but is deadly if ingested. Prevent this from happening by keeping antifreeze and other chemicals tightly closed and out of reach of pets.

Mushrooms: Be vigilant not to allow pets to eat any mushrooms that may be growing in the yard or areas they frequent. If you suspect your pet may have ingested anything dangerous call a vet or animal poison control center.

Fleas and Ticks: These critters hide under fallen leaves and other debris when it gets chilly out. If your pet spends a fair amount of time outdoors, be sure to rake leaves and dispose of them promptly to protect your pets.

Rodents: As it cools outside rodents will be looking for warm places to take cover. Be carefully of using poisons when there are children and pets around; poison can accidently be ingested. Live traps may be a better alternative.

Share on Facebook