JOB DESCRIPTION: DOG CARE SPECIALIST
ACCOUNTABILITY: ANIMAL DIRECTOR
DIRECT REPORTS: VOLUNTEERS
ENSURES THE SAFE AND HUMANE TREATMENT OF ALL SHELTER ANIMALS WHILE UPHOLDING THE HIGHEST STANDARD OF CARE.
Hours: 30 per week.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Direct care, feeding, and waste removal for all canines at PAWSGH, including dogs/puppies in quarantine.
Observe, record, and report any behavioral or health concerns of shelter dogs to the Animal Director or appropriate staff in a timely manner.
● Exercises dogs via multiple walks per day, yard time, play time, etc.
● Works to socialize dogs through attention, play, and positive reinforcement.
● Maintain clean food, water, and kennel area at all times for shelter dogs. Keep alert of dietary restrictions for any individual animals.
● Sanitize and clean inside and outside of all dog kennels/rooms/windows/floors according to PAWSGH protocols.
● Check and refill all cleaning supplies, anticipate upcoming needs, and fill out requisition forms as needed to maintain adequate levels.
● Responsible for daily laundry including removing soiled/dirty linens from dog kennels/areas, washing, drying, folding, and restocking of all laundry. Monitors laundry supplies and fill out requisition forms as needed to maintain adequate levels.
● Assists Animal Director as needed in providing care to animals including administering vaccines, weighing, flea treatments, and deworming.
● Administer medications to animals as needed. Reorder medicines/refills as requested by the Animal Director.
● Transport animals to and from vet clinics as needed. Drop off fecal samples and pick up ordered medicines from clinics.
● Assist with intakes/adoptions/surrenders as needed.
● Make notations of individual adoptable dog behaviors/traits/stories for use on PAWSGH social media, website, fundraising, and humane education opportunities.
● Provides assistance and back-up to Cat Care Specialist as needed.
● Directs volunteers and monitors volunteer activity on shelter floor.
● Participates as a supportive member of the PAWSGH Animal Care Team to identify health and safety concerns, temperament issues, safe and humane handling, and adoptability of shelter animals.
● Works collaboratively with all staff members to achieve the completion of daily work assignments, following proper shelter protocols; has accountability for measurable results in these areas.
● Treats animals humanely, with compassion and concern both on and off the job and transmits these values to others.
● Regularly participates in and conducts meetings with other members of the staff to share ideas and suggestions designed to improve working conditions and the programs of PAWSGH.
● Fosters a team environment by working effectively with all members of the organization to accomplish department and organizational goals and objectives.
● This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and employee will also perform other reasonably-related business duties that may be requested by the Executive Director which will ensure a positive public image, enhance the operation of the organization, improve the quality of life for animals, and improve the services of PAWSGH.
● High school graduate or GED equivalent.
● Two years of college work preferred.
● Experience in animal care working with animals in a veterinary hospital or animal shelter and/or licensed RVT/AHT.
● Must submit to a background check.
● Accumulated knowledge of and compassion for domestic animals.
● Valid Washington drivers license with good driving history.
● Must be in good physical health with no allergic conditions which might be aggravated by exposure to animals.
● Ability to lift 50 pounds.
1.) 40-hour workweek, including weekends and evenings as scheduled, with intermittent over time and/or evening work.
2.) Compliance with PAWSGH Employee Policy Manual.
3.) Frequent contact with public in a fast-paced and changing work environment, which, at times, may be stressful or emotionally charged.
4.) Exposure to dead, sick, injured, unruly, vicious and/or dangerous animals and intermittent exposure to parasites and infectious diseases.
5.) Willingness to attend training programs and to upgrade skills as needed.
PAWSGH RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE OR CHANGE THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AS NECESSARY OR AS BUSINESS REQUIRES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WRITTEN OR IMPLIED CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
Please send resumes, cover letters, and references to: email@example.com